New Sensor for Elphel 373

Rod Supports, the Dictator Interface, Viewfinder Tablet, everything related to hardware goes in here.
124 postsPage 3 of 131, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13

Re: New Sensor for Elphel 373

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Sebastian wrote:The nice thing about Elphel 373 is that it will be highly comaptible with the current Elphel 353 on both hard- and software level. For example the new boards will use the same enclosure as the current one so all accessories that we will create before 373 is released will also work with 373 later on.

The same applies to software. Everything we created so far ElphelVision, DNG converter, etc. will work with Elphel 373 out of the box or with minor modifications.

On the Elphel development you can see what Andrey has recently been doing: http://blogs.elphel.com/2010/11/zoom-in-now-enhance/

Now that Eyesis is released and Andreys image processing software is taking shape I hope he will soon have time to finish the Elphel 373 hardware/software. The timeframe for the completion is limited because the AXIS CPU in current Elphel 353 cameras was discontinued and only a limited amount is still available.

Hi there. I have read the article and wonder why not use a 35mm sensor from start to match the 35mm lenses? Smaller lenses are less sharper so you don't really have create algorithms to compensate blurriness. I mean, wouldn't it be better to try to capture a natural picture as possible?
If you look at the new Sony NEX-FS100 it is build like that. Even though I don't really like the image of the camera the compatibility is great. You can use a variety lenses, this is good for a DIY project like this.
Maybe the article was only meant for the Eyeis but I still think a 35mm sensor would take out the maximum from the lenses.
Guest offline

Postby Anon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:11 pm

And where do you find a 35mm sensor available in small quantities and at a decent price?
Anon offline

Postby kidgray » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Anon wrote:And where do you find a 35mm sensor available in small quantities and at a decent price?

Thats good question but there should be a way to find one.

http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Sensors_table
kidgray offline

Postby kidgray » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm

kidgray wrote:
Anon wrote:And where do you find a 35mm sensor available in small quantities and at a decent price?

I might have found something very interesting. Take a look at this:

http://www.viimagic.com/fileadmin/pdf/v ... ef_V04.pdf

This CMOS sensor has resolution is up to full HD. Global Shutter and speeds up to 240 fps in full resolution. Dynamic range 60-120(HD) db. etc.

I dont think higher resolution is a must. If you record full HD raw is good enough.
kidgray offline

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Interresting!

Could you add it to the sensors table on the wiki?
Sebastian offline

Postby kidgray » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Sebastian wrote:Interresting!

Could you add it to the sensors table on the wiki?

Sorry, dont know how to do it.
kidgray offline

Postby Trilec » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 pm

kidgray wrote:
kidgray wrote:

This CMOS sensor has resolution is up to full HD. Global Shutter and speeds up to 240 fps in full resolution. Dynamic range 60-120(HD) db. etc.
record full HD raw is good enough.

looks like a 2/3 chip not 35mm but agree, full HD RAW with HDR is great if the camera is cheep enough.
They offer a test board with the Altera Cyclone 3 FPGA with external DDR2 memory so with a small bit of coding (perhaps from viimagic themselvs), we have a camera today (not in 1+ years while we wait for the vapor Elphel 373
:geek:
Trilec offline

Postby kidgray » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 am

looks like a 2/3 chip not 35mm but agree, full HD RAW with HDR is great if the camera is cheep enough.
They offer a test board with the Altera Cyclone 3 FPGA with external DDR2 memory so with a small bit of coding (perhaps from viimagic themselvs), we have a camera today (not in 1+ years while we wait for the vapor Elphel 373
:geek:[/quote]

What are really happening with the Elphel 373? Are there any evolution at all?
Last edited by kidgray on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kidgray offline

Postby kidgray » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:19 am

:geek:[/quote]

When you think about it, storing a lots amount of raw data is another delicate issue. On higher resolution it gets more complicated with faster interfaces, disks etc. This the reason why A-cam choose not to go over Full HD resolution when working with RAW format. I would guess this Sensor would capture really good images and it will not have the magenta problem the Kodak sensor suffer from.
kidgray offline

Postby Daniel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 pm

kidgray wrote:
kidgray wrote:

I might have found something very interesting. Take a look at this:

http://www.viimagic.com/fileadmin/pdf/v ... ef_V04.pdf

I dont think higher resolution is a must. If you record full HD raw is good enough.

Recently contacted them. The demo kit runs you 6500€
i also asked them if they were to build a larger sensor they said:

"Yes we would like to do this. Looking at the cost of such a development and the available free market share I have my doubts that we as a small company can embark on this project.

As a consequence we can only do this if an investor or a consortium will carry the financial risk.

So if you can help us on this road would be very much appreciated.
"

So if enough people were to put some money into this we could build a HDR Sensor in the Size & Resolution we would want... +some time...
Daniel offline

PreviousNext
124 postsPage 3 of 131, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13