Finding an Apertus Logo

Anything related to the Apertus Website
244 postsPage 1 of 251, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25

Finding an Apertus Logo

Postby Sebastian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 am

Apertus could really need a logo.

As a first step we could look at different fonts maybe we will get ideas for a logo that way.

The current "logo" as it is on the top of the page is an Arial all caps word with Arial lower case slogan.

I inverted the current "logo" and placed a few fonts below:

Apertus-font-search-01.jpg

What do you think?

Feel free to post additional font samples here (as long as they are free).
Sebastian offline

Re: Finding an Apertus Logo

Postby Sebastian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 am

ok to get the stone rolling, my favourites are:

-) "Discognate" because of its very technical and modern look

-) "Eras Demi ITC" because it gives a very dynamic look (especially the shape of the "p") almost like Apertus is a big petrol company ;) , the horizontal line in the "e" might be too thin though, would need a minor correction which we could do on a vector image level.
Sebastian offline

Postby Alban. » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 pm

I love the Discognate and the Acens for same reasons. Please note that if these fronts are free they are not apparently open source , no ? Perhaps we will have to search for some ones (http://www.designwritingresearch.org/free_fonts.html)

May I suggest then a little modification?

1/ to put the A in red (to emphasize the "entry" title)
2 To rotate this A horizontally on the left (the point of the A in the left then, the two "legs on the right near the p ) to represent an... open eye (Apertus you know :D )

It's still readable as a A and a great symbol of the opening of this great project symbolizing also the eye of the future movie-makers looking into the Apertus camera and/or the developers of Apertus looking to the future.

The red horizontal A can be also be taken as an "alone" logo for Apertus.

Alban
Alban. offline

Postby Phil W. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 am

I'm a fan of the last three. I like Automatica, because it reminds me of Portal for some reason. With that said, it seems (though only three of us have spoken so far) that Discognate is popular, so I did this with it...

Apertus Logo.jpg

I altered the A and the s, and took your idea Alban, and colored the A red.

And then I thought about how it could be used in different ways, and did this...

Apertus open Logo.jpg

I have the Illustrator and PSD files if anyone else wants to mess with these.
Phil W. offline

Postby Sebastian » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Alban. wrote:I love the Discognate and the Acens for same reasons. Please note that if these fronts are free they are not apparently open source , no ? Perhaps we will have to search for some ones (http://www.designwritingresearch.org/free_fonts.html)

May I suggest then a little modification?

1/ to put the A in red (to emphasize the "entry" title)
2 To rotate this A horizontally on the left (the point of the A in the left then, the two "legs on the right near the p ) to represent an... open eye (Apertus you know :D )

It's still readable as a A and a great symbol of the opening of this great project symbolizing also the eye of the future movie-makers looking into the Apertus camera and/or the developers of Apertus looking to the future.

The red horizontal A can be also be taken as an "alone" logo for Apertus.

Alban

Here is my visualization of your idea (blue instead of red):

apertus_logo_draft.jpg

Feel free to modify: Photoshop PSD:

apertus_logo_draft.zip

I think it has a great shape, alsmost like a fish, very streamlined. But we have to be carefull to keep the whole word easily readable. Like I did it now it can easily be read as just "pertus".

I love the idea of an open eye designed just by basic shapes/letters.

I created the following just by writing "bracket o brakcet" = (o) and then reducing the letter distance and rotating it 90°:

open-logo.jpg

Photoshop Source:
open logo.zip

Great ideas flowing, keep em coming :)
Sebastian offline

Postby Biel Bestué » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm

I don't quite like the "( o )" all seeing eye logo, I think it's better the rotated A yet...

I love Arial, most people discard Arial for being a default type in Windows but it's a damn good type! i reads so easy!

I wouldn't recommend to take a type desperatedly wanting to be futuristic because it looks fake, isn't it? it looks form the 80's (specially if you give this oldie metallic gradients, quasi-chrome gradients) i don't like it, for me it's cheesy-bad. :)

the idea here I think is that Apertus it's not the future it's already here in the present, it's already in you hands, it's easy, it's Apertus :P

I think the current logo it's OK with the Arial type and the "open source cinema" on the lower part, any letter modification (even the rotated A) could be a great idea but also the biggest gimmick, and so I don't see how another logo could express easyness and style at the same time as the current logo does...

so

GO Arial GO! :)

P.D.
I see another thing I don't like, are we going to put Apertus and then following "open source cinema"? because some might read Apertus without reading the "open source cinema" sentence

the current logo has you reading "Apertus" and then instantly following with the "open source cinema" so it's instant association, that's because the subtitle it's pasted down the title, if you break it in a long sentence like: "Apertus" a space, a hyphen, a symbol, or whatever, and then "open source cinema" this association might not materialise

also I like the "Block of information" idea in the current logo: with the subtitle pasted dawn the title that fits great inside a rectangle, or even inside rectangle with the color inverted from the color in the letters, that might be great for black and white printing and also it's optimum contrast for reading.
>> Biel Bestué de Luna <<
Biel Bestué offline

Postby Alban » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks Biel

I join my little contribution with a bitstream-vera font, that can surely be improved.

I just changed Open source cinema by Open source Camera

Alban
Alban
"Silence, Action"
Alban offline

Postby Phil W. » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 am

I kinda like the (o) for the open...but it all depends on it's implementation. Also with open source cinema/camera, I believe the Apertus project is building more than just a camera. We are building a system that gives film-makers a chance to freely modify their workflow throughout production and even in post.

I also did some adjusting to my previous logo. I took out the beveling, as Biel commented on not going too futuristic. Though I do feel that it should remain more 'digital' as this is not a film camera. I also like the blue added in Sebastian's, so I thought I'd try that as well.

Apertus Logo r and b.jpg
Phil W. offline

Postby Sasha Cohen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm liking the combination of "Mona Lisa Solid ITC TT" (for APERTUS) and "Dekar" (OPEN SOURCE CINEMA) fonts. They make me think of an older refined style mixing with something modern and progressive.

Apertus_Logo2.jpg

Here's the same logo with a gaussian blur added to "APERTUS".

Apertus_Logo2_blur.jpg

Do you prefer white text on a black background or vice-versa?
Sasha Cohen offline

Postby Biel Bestué » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:46 pm

@Sasha Cohen

I like your logo the best.

But I don't quite like the "Mona Lisa Solid ITC TT" the "E" and the "R" look deformed to me. I do like the diferent of type between "Apertus" and the rest, and i do think a oldish yet stylish "Apertus" lends more toward a "grounded in knowledge" idea wich i like, it's just that I don't like that style. Yet still I do like the lower part style.

if the logo is going to be in front of something darker and without detail then the idea of the glowing letters i think would make a reference to the light the camera is meant to capture, rather than the concept of "shinny-glowing apertus" i would find this gimmicky ("it's so great it glows like gold"... total pHail!) so if it's in front of something plain and darker i wouldn't see it as something bad

on the contrary over plain white or lighty surfaces... well what does it represent? Apertus is over the surface, and it has relief, so is this SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Oclussion)? if this is the idea i would definetly use some other color for the letters diferent than the plain color of the background, not something forced but something controlled in order to stand out just slightly, rather than the SSAO effect.

all I've posted can be scarapped to death if the background is detaily, with diferent colors interactions going on or stuff like this.

@Alban

the problem with the rotated A is that I read "pertus" and then since I don't get what kind of name is "Pertus" I then rewach it and see the "A", yet still what does Apertus means? it's not easy to see quickly (specially if you don't know latin or any romance language) so the rotated A to me stands out too much as something trying to have attention. but it's a wrong kind of attention.

also the rotated A it's an eye, but an strange eye, because it doesn't have roundess, if you do change the A to have the middle line reounded like an open eye from the side then suddenly it's more difficult to see it like an "A" (because an "A" it's all lines) so it might be difficult to balance... i've seen this idea on many places, using A's as eyes but every time they had to put like beams of light under the rest of the words to make understandable that the "A" was an eye or somthing making a reference to "vision". this is I think because just the "A" alone isn't enough.

maybe, if you limit the A to the height of the round part of the "P" so the P sticks down freely as the "t" sticks up freely, you would associate the "A" to "pertus" more easily, but the problem of the "A" as an eye remains.

also the color choose sheeme reminds me so much of the Barcelona film comission wich is so clunky and... i don't know... it's itchy on the eyes :evil:!

and I would definitely go for "Apertus - Open Source Cinema" than "A... - O..S.. Camera"

@Phil W.

I still see that type as blocky and somewhat unstylish, maybe because it's squareness-with-round-edges wich to me is quitecontradictory, and i don't see what anything of this has to do with the concept of Apertus.
Also a certain feeling of the 80's ramains even without the metallic material, and with so much lines and hard lines going on it seems to have a movement like the type of the title on Balde Runner, to me this logo is Apertus from the space... wich another time I don't associate with the concept of open source cinema. so I'm not fond of it. the "movement" is give by the S line that follows under "Apertu" the colliding toe of the "p" and the "A" wich gives the true feeling of movement to it all, because of the elongated A and it's cursiveness.
>> Biel Bestué de Luna <<
Biel Bestué offline

Next
244 postsPage 1 of 251, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25